Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Report Card: Sweet Pork Burritos...A+



The sweet pork recipe definitely deserved an A+ grade.  It was so good and so easy.  In fact, we loved it so much I prepared a second batch and took it to Shane's office to share for lunch.   Coupled with cilantro-lime rice and black beans in flour tortillas, it was awesome!  I prepared some pico de gallo, guacamole and some cilantro-ranch dressing (not pictured) to accompany the burritos.  We finished off the meal with tres leches cake topped with Danish Dessert, mmmmmmm.

Prior to preparing the pork I did a little comparing of similar recipes and decided to prepare it without the taco and fajita seasonings.  I am glad that I did.  I am not a huge fan of chili seasoning and both taco and fajita seasonings have it in them.  I decided to use Dr. Pepper for the cola in the recipe.  It worked out wonderfully!

CILANTRO-LIME RICE

1 cup uncooked rice
1 tsp. butter
2 cloves, garlic (minced)
1 tsp. lime juice
1 can (15 oz) chicken broth
1 cup water
1 tbsp. lime juice
2 tsp. sugar
3 tbsp. chopped cilantro

In a medium saucepan combine rice, butter, garlic, 1 tsp. lime, chicken broth and water.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and cook on low for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.  While rice is cooking, combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl.  When rice is done, remove from heat and pour mixture over rice while fluffing.

CILANTRO-RANCH DRESSING

1 package Ranch dressing mix
3 tomatillos, chopped
1 cup mayonaise
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup cilantro, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. green Tabasco sauce
juice from 1 lime

Blend all ingredients together.

BLACK BEANS

I prefer to cook my own beans, rather than using canned or bottled.  However, if you prefer to use canned it works just as well.  When I cook my own, I season them with garlic powder and onion salt.  Just season to taste with garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper.  I added 1/2 chopped cilantro to 3 cups of cooked black beans. 

PICO DE GALLO

6 Roma tomatoes, diced
2 Anaheim peppers, chopped
3 Jalapeno peppers, chopped (I removed the seeds, we wanted a milder salsa)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
juice of 1 lime
garlic salt to taste
salt and pepper to taste

I used Roma tomatoes because they tend to be less juicy than other types of tomatoes.  I wanted a less juicy pico de gallo than I typically make for my fresh salsa.  After dicing the tomatoes I drained the juice off of them before adding them to the bowl, then I added the rest of the ingredients.  The pico is almost better after sitting for awhile to allow the flavors to all blend together.  Remember to keep it in the fridge for freshness!

No comments: