3 egg white, lightly beaten
1/4 c. water
2 small eggplants, cut horizontally into 1/4 in. thick slices
1/3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. dried italian bread crumbs
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. In a shallow dish, combine egg whites and water.
2. Mix flour and bread crumbs in a bowl. Dip eggplant slices in egg white mixture, turning to coat and allowing excess to drip back into bowl. Then coat slices with flour/crumb mixture.
3. Place eggplant in a single layer on prepared baking sheets. Bake, turning once, until golden and tender, about 30 minutes.
4. In bottom of an 8-in. square baking dish, spread a layer of tomatoes. Place a layer of eggplant over tomatoes; sprinkle with 1/2 of mozzarella. Repeat layering with remaining ingredients. Sprinkle parmesan on top.
5. Bake until heated through, about 15 minutes. Place dish on wire rack to cool slightly.