Thursday, November 19, 2009

Turkey Day

I am not going to post about "the most amazing Thanksgiving dinner ideas ever". If you want those I'll refer you to either Karen or here. I'll admit I've never hosted an entire Thanksgiving dinner by myself. I can do rolls, salads, potatoes, yams, etc. but I've never cooked a turkey or made green bean casserole...whew, that's kind of a big weight off my shoulders.

I'm going to talk today about what we'll be facing a week from tomorrow...

No, not incredibly huge sales and crowds...(thankfully, I do the majority of my shopping on-line)

I'm talking about LEFTOVERS. *cue angelic singing*

We all know next week's menu skips Friday, Saturday and Sunday because those days are going to include eating what's left of Tom Turkey, right?

How about a recipe to help out?

Turkey Tetrazzini

2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 carrot, diced
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
8 oz mushrooms, sliced as small as you need to to hide them from your kids...
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
3 oz cream cheese
12 oz uncooked spaghetti, or other long, thin pasta
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp crushed saltine crackers

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add onion, carrot, pepper, salt and mushrooms. Saute until vegetables are tender. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
Add 1/4 cup chicken brother, cook for a minute.
Gradually add flour to pan. Cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add remaining broth, stirring constantly.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
Add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and cream cheese, stirring until cream cheese melts. Add the pasta and chicken and stir until mixed.
Transfer to a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the pasta.
Combine breadcrumbs and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and sprinkle over pasta.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly brown.
Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

No comments: