Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It's a Pumpkin Time of Year

I'm all about pumpkins...they are a symbol of my favorite time of year. They represent fun, food, family.

I love carving pumpkins, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, and my mom even made pumpkin juice one year as a nod to Harry Potter (it was really good).

I found a new recipe in one of my 'new' hand-me-down recipe books and decided to try it a few weeks ago.

UPSIDE-DOWN PUMPKIN CAKE

1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ginger
pinch salt
1 1/4 cup sugar
3 eggs, well beaten

Combine above ingredients in a large mixing bowl and blend well. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 in. baking pan.

1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 cup melted butter

Spread dry cake mix over top of pumpkin mixture. Sprinkle with pecans and drizzle with butter. Moistening as much of the dry cake mix as you can with the butter. Bake 1 hour at 350°. Cool slightly and serve with whipped topping, if desired.


This was the lone piece left after we served this for company...
sorry for the poor picture quality, it was taken by my phone before someone snatched the last piece and I had nothing to document this amazing dessert

No comments: