Sweet Potato Enchiladas
5 regular sweet potatoes
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
4 green onions, chopped
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin (optional)
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
12 (7 in.) corn tortillas
1 (19 oz.) can green enchilada sauce
8 oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. Wash and peel sweet potatoes. Dice potatoes. Bring a pot of water to a boil, over medium heat boil the sweet potatoes until tender. Drain.
2. Place the sweet potatoes in a bowl, mash with the cream cheese, green onions, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper until well mixed.
3. Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
4. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat and fry the tortillas, one at a time, for about 30 seconds per side. Remove the tortillas with tongs, and drain on paper towels.
5. Place about 1/3 cup of sweet potato filling down the center of each tortilla, roll it up, and place filled tortillas seam side down in the prepared baking pan. Pour enchilada sauce over the tortillas and sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes, until the enchiladas are bubbling and the cheese is beginning to brown.