Friday, April 17, 2009

Because It's Friday, and I Can

I don't know about you, but I've had one heck of an emotional and trying week.  It's been good in many ways, but I am glad that it's Friday.  I think I deserve a treat, and though this recipe isn't going to do it for me...you know chocolate just isn't the key to my happiness, it should help someone out there have a better day.

CHOCOLATE TURTLE CHEESECAKE

1 (14 oz) package caramels
1 (5 oz) can evaporated milk
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans, divided
1 (9-in) chocolate crumb pie crust - or 1 1/2 cups cookie crumbs and 3 tbsp. melted butter, mixed together and pressed into 9-in pie plate, then baked at 350° for 6-8 minutes
1 (3-oz) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1 (3.9-oz) package chocolate instant pudding mix
1/2 cup fudge topping

1. Place caramels and evaporated milk in a heavy saucepan.  Heat over medium-low heat, stirring continually, until smooth, about 5 minutes.  Stir in 1 cup chopped pecans.  Pour into pie crust.

2. Combine cream cheese, sour cream and milk in a blender.  Process until smooth.  Add pudding mix; process for about 30 seconds longer.

3. Pour pudding mixture over caramel layer, covering evenly.  Chill, loosely covered, until set, about 15 minutes.  

4. Drizzle fudge topping over pudding layer in a decorative pattern.  Sprinkle top of cake with remaining pecans.  Chill, loosely covered, until serving time.

No comments: