Saturday, March 21, 2009

Slow Cooker Saturday

So sorry for the lack of postings this week.  We've had company and I've been extra busy with a birthday.  Yay for kids and for Mother-in-laws that purchase the cake.  I'll be making his cake for the birthday party, but for the family dinner I was all for the store-bought ice cream cake....mmmmm.

For today's slow cooker recipes I'm heading to sparkpeople.com's recipe file.  SparkPeople is a great, free website that allows you to track your food intake, your exercise and fitness goals.  It's a great forum for weight loss and general health improvement.  They have a recipe file of user-submitted recipes.  I haven't made either of these recipes, but they look good, and I'm planning on making them this week.  I'll try to remember to post pictures when I've got them done!

Also, I've got company coming on Monday, and I've got to get a menu that's perfect....I don't want to disappoint.  I'll keep you updated on what I come up with.

SLOW-COOKER APPLESAUCE

4 cups apples, chopped
1/8 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Chop apples into 1 inch pieces, removing the core.  Cut off peel and slice into small pieces.  Place apples in crockpot.  Add lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar.  Stir to coat apples.  Turn crockpot to low and cook overnight.  Can be cooked on high for 4 hours or overnight on low for at least 8 hours.
Makes about 8, 1/2 cup servings. 

**I think I will reduce the sugar a little, and I'm planning on using Fuji or Gala apples, my kids like unsweetened applesauce***

CHEESY CHICKEN SPAGHETTI

1 pack angel hair pasta
half of a large block of Velveeta cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups of chicken broth
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups of cooked chopped chicken breasts
1 tbsp olive oil

Combine all ingredients in large crockpot and cook on high for about an hour.  Mixture will melt together and when liquid is almost gone it should be done.  Stir as needed.

**I think this looks good, it should be a thick pasta dish.**

No comments: