Wednesday, October 22, 2008

W = Warm

As I sit here this morning freezing because a Texas coldfront is coming through (50° or so), eating my hot cereal because I can, I'm thinking W has to mean warm, or winter, or weather, or whatever... I guess I'll stick to waffles and wassail, both of which help you when you're freezing!

WHOLE WHEAT WAFFLES

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 tbsp. vegetable oil

Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.

Beat eggs until fluffy. Stir in milk and oil and blend well.

Pour liquid all at once into dry ingredients. Beat until smooth. Bake in preheated waffle iron.

LION HOUSE WASSAIL

2 1/4 cups white sugar
4 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
1 slice fresh ginger root
4 cups orange juice
2 cups lemon juice
8 cups apple juice
8 whole allspice berries
1 tablespoon whole cloves

In a large saucepan, combine sugar and water. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and add cinnamon sticks, allspice berries, cloves, and ginger. Cover and let stand in warm place for 1 hour.

Strain liquid into a large pot. Just before serving, add juices and cider and quickly bring to boil. Remove from heat and serve. (I keep in a crock pot to keep warm all day long)

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Thanks for the whole wheat pancake recipe. I really need to use some of my food storage before the mice eat it all, ha ha! You are an amazing cook!