Monday, March 14, 2016

SnowPie2K16 - 13

Pi Day Second Edition

So we had Chicken Pot Pie for dinner, but what would Monday be without pie for dessert too? I went simple, Apple Pie, and it was sooo good! This is probably my favorite apple pie recipe, and it's my simplest. I found it in Ann Romney's cookbook, and it's definitely a keeper.

ANN ROMNEY'S APPLE PIE

Pastry dough for double crust pie
6 granny smith apples (I used Fuji)
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
(I also added 1 tbsp cinnamon)

Preheat oven to 425°. Line a 9-inch pi plate with half of the pastry dough. Peel and core apples. Slice into pie plate over unbaked crust. Add sugar, dot the butter on top, sprinkle on flour, and mix it all together with your hands. (I mixed everything, including the apples in a large bowl before putting it into the crust, much, much easier and less messy...). Ann writes, "I like mine plain, so I don't add any seasonings", but I added the cinnamon and loved it. Roll out remaining pastry dough and lay gently on top of pie. Cut a few slits in top of the dough.

Bake pie at 425° for 10 minutes to set the crust, then reduce heat to 375° and bake until bubbly and brown, another 35 minutes.

No comments: