Tuesday, February 16, 2016

SnowPie2K16 - 9

I'll be honest, we're 9 weeks into this challenge and I'm still all in, but my husband is getting a little tired of pie...and it was his week to pick. He wanted molten lava cake, one of my specialties, and I needed pie. So we compromised.

MOLTEN LAVA PIE


Not my favorite, but everyone else ate it up. I'd rather have my flowing chocolate in a ramekin, with no crust.

But, it was chocolate-y and molten-y, so at least the recipe was a success!

I based this off of THIS RECIPE from Chef Carla Hall. 

MOLTEN LAVA PIE
1 pie crust - baked
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butter
5 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

1 - Preheat oven to 350°, bake pie shell and allow to cool.
2 - In a glass bowl, melt chocolate chips and butter in microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted and smooth. Don't over heat. Let mixture cool slightly.
3 - In a separate bowl, use a mixer to whisk eggs and sugar until thickened, mix in flour and salt, then blend into the chocolate mixture until just mixed.
4 - Pour into baked pie shell and bake for 20-25 minutes. Will be slightly dry on top and look a little jiggly in the center.
5 - Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes (we didn't have time to wait, so mine was a little runnier than if we'd waited).
6 - Garnish with chopped nuts. (optional)


No comments: