Wednesday, December 23, 2015

SnowPie2K16 - 4

Bonus edition...

Nope, it's not Monday. Surprise! Guess who had a little extra time and an extra assignment for pie for the husband's business partner?

We posed him the question, which pie would you like for Christmas? Cherry, peach, apple, chocolate, lemon, key lime.... No. Pecan? No, and we live in the South, for crying out loud.

His answer... Buttermilk pie. I'd never even heard of it, which means I'm not even a Southern girl yet. I've only made a couple of pecan pies. Now I've made a Buttermilk pie. I'm earning my stripes.

I found this recipe on BunsInMyOven.com. I looked at half a dozen recipes before settling on this one. It had a real crust, not a baked in one. I like crust. Pies deserve good crust.



Buns In My Oven Buttermilk Pie

2 9-inch pie crusts, unbaked
3 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
6 eggs, beaten
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Arrange pie crusts in 2 9-inch plates.
2. Mix together the sugar, flour, and salt. Beat in the eggs, butter, buttermilk, and vanilla until well combined. Pour into the pie crusts. Bake for 1 hour or until no longer jiggly - check them after about 45 minutes. If the tops are getting too brown (mine were), cover them loosely with foil. Let cool one hour before serving. Good served cold.

**As done as mine look, the probably should have cooked another 5 minutes. It was still a little too jiggly/runny in the middle.

No comments: