Saturday, January 28, 2012

Square Dance

My kids get to take turns picking the treat for our weekly Family Night. It's kind of funny to see what they choose when no one else can influence their decision. We've covered most of the favorites, ie: Tres Leches cake, ice cream, pink cake with pink frosting, brownies, and the funniest (at least to me) M&M's.

This week the request was Lemon Squares.

I don't make my Lemon Squares very often, because they're probably my biggest weakness. They're light enough to taste calorie free, but they're not... I got the recipe in a Bisquick recipe book years and years ago. If you don't have Bisquick I don't recommend substituting, this is pretty much the only reason I have Bisquick in my pantry...but it's worth it.

GLAZED LEMON SQUARES

1 cup Bisquick baking mix
2 tbsp. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. firm butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup flaked coconut, if desired
1 tbsp. Bisquick baking mix
2 eggs
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. grated lemon peel
Glaze (see below)

Heat oven to 350°. Mix 1 cup baking mix and the powdered sugar. Cut in butter. Press in ungreased square baking dish, 8x8x2. Bake until light brown, about 10 minutes.

Mix remaining ingredients, except Glaze; pour over baked layer. Bake until set, about 25 minutes. Loosen edges from sides of pan while warm. Spread with Glaze. Cool completely; cut into 1-inch squares.

GLAZE: Mix 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1 tbsp. lemon juice until smooth.

No comments: