Thursday, October 20, 2011

After School Delight

I don't know about you guys, but no matter what I pack for my kids lunches, they come home starving.
  
Starving.
   
I don't want them to fill up too much before dinner, but I can't stand "starving" my kids.
  
Here's a new idea. Something filling, pretty healthy, and easy to throw together.

AFTER SCHOOL TRAIL MIX
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup cashews
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pistachios
3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
1 cup honey
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup craisins
Salt to taste

Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and stir to coat thoroughly.
  
Pour granola mixture onto a large baking sheet that has been lightly sprayed with olive oil.
   
Bake in a 300 degree oven for about 1 hour or until golden. Stir every 15 minutes.
   
Allow to cool and enjoy!
  
If you're like my family, and you have to have sugar running through your veins at all times, by all means add M&Ms after you've baked it and it's cooled. There isn't much better than M&M's in trail mix. At least for 5/6 of our family.

No comments: