Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Slow Cooker Tuesday - Curried Chicken

This recipe was heaven, and I am not even a huge fan of curry. I've been super busy with lessons, practices, etc. and so I've been relying a little more heavily on the crockpot for support lately. It's been a good relationship, but it was getting a little boring. I decided to spice things up a little with a curry recipe. Well worth it, I tell you!

This recipe comes from the Rival Crock Pot Recipes: Flavors from Around the World collection. There are a few more I'll try out and share, soon I'm sure.


Slow Simmered Curried Chicken

1 1/2 cups chopped onion (I just sliced mine into strips)
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (I didn't use this, kids aren't fans)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh, cut into bite size pieces
1 cup medium salsa
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger (I totally didn't have fresh ginger, powder worked fine)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (we all know I LOVE cilantro)
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. curry powder
3/4 tsp. salt
Hot cooked rice (I used brown)

1. Place onions and bell pepper in bottom of the crock pot. Top with chicken. Combine salsa, ginger, garlic powder and pepper flakes in a small bowl; spoon over the chicken. Cover; cook on LOW 5-6 hours or on HIGH 2-3 hours or until chicken is done.

2. Combine the cilantro, sugar, curry powder and salt in a small bowl. Stir mixture into crock pot. Cover; cook on HIGH 15 minutes or until hot. Serve over rice.

**NOTE** I didn't wait to put the additional ingredients in, I knew I wouldn't have time before we needed to eat. It worked fine, really well in fact.

No comments: