Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas Cookies


I may not have my Christmas shopping done, I may have given up on decorating 1/3 of the way through, I may be praying that we see no more snow this year than we already have, but I have delivered the first round of Christmas cookies to our neighbors - 90% of whom we've never met...sad, I know!

I say first round because I really wanted to make a variety of cookies, place them tenderly on a plate and nicely deliver them to our neighbors in daylight with a smile on my face...

Instead I made a double batch of sugar cookies during a week that was more chaotic than Christmas, it was also the coldest week in my history of living in Texas, add that to the fact that we had obligations every night and no patience to run to the store for the fun little ingredients for the other cookies...our neighbors got sugar cookies on the coldest, darkest night...we may never see them again, but at least the cookies we delivered were yummy and if I might brag a little, they looked good too.

Those other Christmas cookies might still make it onto plates for family and friends, but since I've still not completed my Christmas shopping...maybe we'll just stick with round one.

Scrumptious Sugar Cookies with Glace Frosting

1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup butter

Mix together until soft. Add 4 eggs to mixture and beat in.

Add 2 tsp. vanilla, 4 cup flour, 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder, and 1/2 tsp. salt.

Mix together and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Roll out and bake for 8-10 minutes at 375°. Don't overbake!

Glace Frosting

1 lb. powdered sugar (about 3 3/4 cup)
1/4 cup and 2 tbsp. whole milk
1/4 cup and 2 tbsp. corn syrup
1 tsp. almond or vanilla extract

With a whisk, combine sugar and milk until smooth. Then stir in corn syrup and extract.

You will use this same recipe for both glazing and piping. It's written for glaze, add more powdered sugar for piping.

No comments: