Sunday, September 27, 2009

Apple Dumpling Gang

It's funny how recipes spread. Occasionally I'll be browsing some of the finer cooking blogs out there...you know the ones, they have more readers than we do...and within a day or two there are copycat recipes all over.

This one is one of those, but it's worth it, I swear. Even my husband thinks so and it has ZERO chocolate in it. That's the mark of a great dessert recipe.

I originally saw the recipe here on Ourbestbites.com. I thought it looked really interesting and kind of packed it into the file in my head marked "Try this one day when you're bored and you think Shane will try something not chocolate".

Then about one week after I read that post Shane came home blathering on and on about some apple dumpling recipe that this wife of a co-worker brought into the office. I told him I knew "all about that recipe". He said, "You should make it, it's incredible". The recipe then moved from to the file in my head marked "Make this sooner than later, Shane will eat it and it's not chocolate".

Then about a week after Shane salivated his way through a couple of servings of the dumplings at work I decided to try them. Note the date on the post, people...September 4th. It's not like I've kept the poor guy waiting for months for this recipe. I made them exactly 3 weeks after the original recipe was posted here and I can only imagine that's where the co-worker's wife got it...

I would advise you right now, do NOT wait 3 weeks from this post to make them. They are worth eating much sooner than that.

And if you want pictures...look at the original post. Mine looked exactly like that...professional pictures and all. (I swear)

APPLE DUMPLINGS
2 medium apples (I used Fuji)
2 cans refrigerator crescent rolls
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (I always use butter in cooking, not margarine)
1 1/2 cup sugar (I said they were good, not fat free)
1 tsp. vanilla
cinnamon (for sprinkling)
12 oz. (1 can) Sprite or Mtn. Dew (I used Sprite)

Peel and cut apples into 8 slices each. Wrap each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place wrapped apples in a greased 9x13" baking dish. In a medium saucepan melt butter and add sugar and vanilla (I added the cinnamon here). Pour butter mixture over dumplings. Then pour the Sprite/Mtn. Dew over everything. If you don't add the cinnamon with the butter you can sprinkle it over the top of everything. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Serve with a little sauce (in the baking dish) drizzled over the top.

It's like miniature apple pies, but without having to make crust!

2 comments:

Karen S. said...

I am actually laughing. My sister in law has been making this recipe for years, she even put it in our family cookbook a year ago. A few months ago I saw a dutch oven version in a scouting magazine. The scout one first place for "original recipe". It's so funny that you just posted it!

Karen S. said...

I did just notice a differance. She uses a small can of soda, they are those little ones, maybe 8 oz.