Sunday, February 15, 2009

Slow Cooker Sunday

I am still kind of a novice at slow cooker, or crockpot, cooking. I think I owned a big, nice crock-pot for 3 years before using it. Now I use it several times a week, so I'm learning. I cook beans in it and freeze them for later, I cook soups in it, I love roasts and chicken that simmer in the sauces all day long. I have realized that most recipes I make can be made in a crock for convenience. I also love the convenience of the slow cooking idea. When the worst (read most hectic) time of day hits at 4:30 p.m., the last thing I usually find myself doing is getting dinner ready. I like to have it already cooking and ready to serve when Shane gets home from work...whenever that is. (One more bonus for slow cookers...if it's already been cooking all day, what's a few more minutes...:) )

My favorite recipe, or rather my kids favorite recipe, lately is Cranberry Chicken. I've cooked it on the stove-top, baked it in the oven and most recently tried it in the crock pot. I actually preferred it in the crock pot because not only was it easier but the flavors blended exceptionally well. (actually just well, but I really wanted to use the word exceptionally in a sentence today...)

CRANBERRY CHICKEN

1 can jellied cranberry sauce
1 package dried onion soup mix
1 cup catalina dressing
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or tenders

Because I like my meat browned, and the don't get sufficiently brown in the crock pot, I brown my chicken first. Then mix first three ingredients together and pour over chicken in crock pot. Yes, that's it. I cook it on high for 5 hours. Serve with rice. (side note, I make my rice in a rice cooker that stays on warm for up to 5 hours...say it with me..."Slow cooked rice, how convenient!")

1 comment:

Karen S. said...

I do this with Russian dressing and Apricot jam. I'm excited to try this and taste the difference. Change is good.