Friday, October 24, 2008

Y = YEAST

I'll be honest. Until this year any recipe that had the word yeast in it was put to the side until I became 'that' mom. You know the one. She has homemade bread ready to eat when you get home from work/school and warm rolls every night for dinner. She has a favorite roll recipe, bread recipe and has loaf pans galore. I still do not own a loaf pan. I have however started dabbling in yeasty things. That is NOT to say that I don't break into a cold sweat when the recipe I pick up has the word yeast and a temperature for water in it. I do not make candy for the same reason.

Because I am getting older I've decided to try to be 'that' mom. Twice I've made rolls and twice they've worked out ok. Shane even said they were good...he's so not hard to impress! Like sugar cookies which I also hate making, rolls have to be rolled out and shaped and they take time and elbow grease. It's almost not worth the effort once you've had to touch the food so much before eating it. But I digress, the following recipe is another one off of allrecipes.com, it looks easy enough and it has TWO Y-words in it's title, even better!

YOGURT YEAST ROLLS

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons honey

In a mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, yeast, salt and baking soda.

In a saucepan over low heat, heat yogurt, water, butter and honey to 120-130° F.

Pour over dry ingredients; blend well. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.

Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down; divide into 24 pieces. Roll each piece into a 9-in. rope. To form S shaped rolls, coil each end of rope toward center in opposite directions.

Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets.

Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Spray tops with nonstick cooking spray while warm. Cool on wire racks.

No comments: