Friday, October 10, 2008

K = Ketchup

Ode to ketchup...

My kids eat ketchup all day long,
on some things right and most things wrong,
on most things it would make me hate,
but to them, it's the only way to get some things ate... :)


Hilarious, I know. It seems like if there is anything my kids won't eat we can give them ketchup to top it or to dip it in and they'll eat it. We've gotten to the point with the 3-year old where we say, "do you want ketchup?", to which she'll respond with a resounding, "YES!", to which we'll reply, "here, try this ketchup", and give her whatever sauce is on the table. It's worked for BBQ sauce, sweet & sour sauce, mustard, and teriyaki sauce.

I very rarely cook with ketchup, but I'm including a recipe that uses tomato soup which is close to ketchup, right? Enjoy, I know my kids do!

SWEET AND SOUR BEEF

1 can tomato soup
1 can water
1/2 c. brown sugar
4 tbsp. vinegar
3 tbsp. soy sauce
1 lb. ground hamburger
1 can chunk pineapple
2 carrots sliced in thin rounds
cornstarch to thicken

Brown hamburger. Add all other ingredients and simmer while carrots cook. Use cornstarch dissolved in cool water to thicken the sauce slightly. Serve over rice.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I LOVE your recipes! You are so creative, how do you have time?? Thanks for the ideas and keep it up, I'm hooked!!