Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thirty Minute Thursday

We are still having nice, rainy, cool weather and I am still in the mood for soup. In the last week we've had lentil, split pea and I'm thinking about making clam chowder. I love clam chowder, there are so many different types. I love thick and creamy New England chowder, and I'm not as big of a fan of Manhattan Chowder with it's tomato taste. My favorite clam chowder ever was served at Chandlers in Seattle, mmmmmm........ Anyway, the following recipe integrates clam chowder with more of a vegetable/corn chowder. Lots of vegetables, lots of flavor, and perfect for nice, cool, rainy days like today. (actually tonight we're having stuffed pork chops, so tomorrow we'll do the soup...must stick to the menu....) :)

CLAM CHOWDER

1 c. onion, finely chopped
1 c. diced celery
2 c. diced potatoes
1 c. chopped carrots
1 can sweet corn
2 cans minced clams (with juice)
3/4 c. butter
3/4 c. flour
1 qt. half 'n half
1 1/2 tsp salt
pepper
1 cube chicken bouillon

1. Add vegetables to a saute pan, empty clams with juice over vegetables. Add enough water to barely cover vegetables. Add bouillon cube and cook till tender.

2. While vegetables cook, melt butter; add flour and mix. Cook, stirring constantly. Add half 'n half. Cook and stir with whisk until smooth and thick.

3. Add undrained vegetables to creamy base and heat through. Season with salt and pepper.

Hope that you enjoy, kudos to my mom for handing this recipe down. I've tweaked it a little here and there, but I stuck to the basics of the original recipe.

No comments: