Tuesday, March 29, 2016

SnowPie2K16 - 15

This week's pie is again brought to you from the Ann Romney cookbook. I loved the Simple Apple Pie recipe so much I decided to try her Strawberry Pie as well. My family loves strawberries. A lot. If I could successfully grow plants I would have a yard full of strawberries, but alas I can't even keep an aloe plant alive (though with renewed effort I have plants all over my yard/house right now that I'm really trying to keep alive).

This pie would be perfect for a spring or summer dinner. It's really tasty, nice and light. Sorry for the picture, we were hungry for pie, this is what you get.


Ann Romney's Strawberry Pie

1 - 10 in pastry shell, baked and cooled
3 pints strawberries
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
Whipped cream or ice cream for serving (I didn't think it needed anything else...)

Clean and hull the strawberries. Thoroughly mash 2 pints of the strawberries. Stir in sugar and flour; set aside until they begin to gather their own juices. Place macerated strawberries into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil gently 1 minute. Cool to lukewarm.

Beat together cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Spread the softened cream cheese on top of the prepared pastry shell. Spread cooled strawberry mixture over the top. Using the remaining pint of strawberries, arrange whole berries neatly (around the rim) on the pie. Refrigerate until ready to eat. Top with whipped cream or ice cream to serve.

No comments: