Monday, March 14, 2016

SnowPie2K16 - 12

Last week was Spring Break. Thank goodness! We traveled to the Houston area, enjoyed rain and fun with family and didn't think about pie all week. It was kind of a nice break before heading into our Pi Day 2016 extravaganza.

Normally we just have pie for dessert on March 14th, but this year because we've been having pie every week I decided to do Chicken Pot Pie instead. I've never made it, my husband is picky about it, and I'm pretty sure my kids have never eaten it. We'll do it again, this was definitely a winner!


Seriously, this was comfort food all wrapped up in a delicious pie crust, filled with healthy veggies, and chicken, served in the best little package ever!

I got the recipe idea from Our Best Bites. (I own all of their cookbooks, they're my go to place for recipes). I adapted a little bit, but for the most part stayed true to their recipe, because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

CHICKEN POT PIE

pie crust - here's the trick, if you're making these in ramekins/mugs, like I did you only need crust on the top, if you're making it in a pie dish, you'll need two crusts. Unless you're making a ton, like I did, and then you'll need a lot of crust to cover all of the pies...I made 10 ramekins full and used 2 pie crusts because I rolled it thin.

1 lb chicken (it's really good with chopped up rotisserie chicken...
1 bag frozen mixed veggies, thawed
1 onion, minced
butter
5 medium red potatoes, diced
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 tsp salt (or more to taste)
ground black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400°.

1 - Boil potatoes until tender.
2 - Meanwhile saute onion in butter until it's translucent.
3 - Combine soup, chicken, veggies, onion and potatoes in a mixing bowl and season to taste.
4 - Fill pie crust (or ramekins/mugs) with chicken mixture, top with crust, crimp edges, cut some vent holes, place on a cooking sheet, then bake for 40-45 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand for a few minutes before serving.

No comments: